Subscribing

Please post any suggestions for improving the website or forum here, or report any issues.
al.whitworth

Subscribing

Postby al.whitworth » 02 Jan 2017, 17:10

Hi. I manage a few websites, some with forums and share your pain for trying to wean people off Facebook and back onto proper forums. One massive help is subscriptions, which you do have on this site, but they're quite awkward to find, and takes a good few minutes to subscribe to each forum so I can get notifications by email.

Can I suggest you try to improve on this feature and perhaps write a small post to tell people how to do it. Also, it's a shame that the forum isn't integrated into the main RS website and also not very well linked from the thousandhuts site either.

Keep up the great work and hope this can become a hub for everyone. Always happy to help too!

RSforum
Site Admin

Re: Subscribing

Postby RSforum » 25 Jan 2017, 16:50

Hi Al

Running a forum is new to us so any advice from experienced hands is welcome. Is there any way to make subscribing easier?

RS

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 25 Jan 2017, 18:17

I haven't used phpbb much really. I use (and would recommend) bbpress which is a Wordpress plugin so would integrate much better with the 1000 huts website, but anyway...

The simplest way would be to add a forum announcement telling people how to subscribe to forums they are interested in. The way you do it is to log in, go to the forum you're interested in and then click subscribe at the bottom of the page. You can manage subscriptions in your profile.

Another option is to sign all users up by default to a weekly digest email. There's an extension to do this: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/email_digests/ (this might not work with this version of the forum though).

donald.mcphillimy

Postby donald.mcphillimy » 16 May 2017, 14:38

Thanks for the advice but I can't see where to subscribe at the bottom of the page.

jennifer.miller

Postby jennifer.miller » 22 May 2017, 11:16

Hi Donald -

When you click on any topic the subscribe box is at the bottom of the next page you see.
I ticked it quite a while ago on all the Hut Circle pages but am not receiving email notification of new posts. Have I done something wrong or is it perhaps switched off at your end? I suspect the former!

Will email you soon about Hutters United soon as I need a sounding board and a bit of brainstorming.

Yours Aye, J x

donald.mcphillimy

Postby donald.mcphillimy » 22 May 2017, 12:57

Jennifer,
I'm confused as well. Just got my first ever subscription alert, which brought me here. I can't see how to subscribe to other pages.

Look forward to your Email about Hutters United.

jennifer.miller

Postby jennifer.miller » 22 May 2017, 21:56

:?

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 18 Oct 2017, 21:00

Sorry, just seeing this!! Basically the subscribing system is pretty rubbish! You need to go to the forum section you want to subscribe to, for example this one is "All ForumsOtherWebsite/Forum Feedback" and then at the very bottom left you will see "Subscribe Forum".

This forum is such a great idea but needs a bit more thought to get it used. One of these days I will make it to an annual gathering (difficult living in Shetland) and can discuss it - happy to help out. Forums I run though have fallen to the victim of Facebook too though, not quite sure what the answer to that is.

With my forum (for a club) I have a feature that creates a post on Facebook whenever a new topic is added to the forum, which at least makes sure people visit the forum regularly so it is still used.

donald.mcphillimy

Postby donald.mcphillimy » 19 Oct 2017, 08:01

Good idea Al. We all find the Forum very clunky and difficult to use too. I can put you in touch with Alan Carter, our chair, who has wrestled with it the most, if you like. Any help welcome.

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 19 Oct 2017, 18:04

Yes please do. Would be happy to help and also integrate the forum into the main RS website.

Return to “Website/Forum Feedback”