Looking for like-minded folk

Hutting communities. Land or huts for sale or rent. Seek or advertise building services.
al.whitworth

Looking for like-minded folk

Postby al.whitworth » 02 Jan 2017, 15:50

Hi all, it's great to see this forum getting more and more active. We live in Shetland and are looking to buy some woodland in the highlands to spend time in, build a hut and enjoy. We've been searching for woodland for a while now and quickly realising that going alone is not affordable. Ideally we want around 5 acres of woodland and putting the idea out there for anyone else who might be interested in coming together to purchase something bigger we could then split or manage together. Realistically it's still going to cost £10k+ per person, although could be less if people only wanted a small area.

We're thinking to develop a forest garden with the land, encourage nature and biodiversity, hopefully harvest some timber for heating and build a very low impact hut to stay in while we're there. We're not fussy on the location, but drawn to the mountains, and accessibility from Aberdeen or Inverness is important (under a few hours).

I make wood crafts in Shetland and am a builder, but working with woodland and green wood is new to me. My wife is interested in growing food (something we've started to do in Shetland) and becoming more self-sufficient in our lifestyle.

Jason MacGilp

Re: Looking for like-minded folk

Postby Jason MacGilp » 03 Jan 2017, 09:51

Hi
Yes. Definitely interested in joining this initiative for possible group purchase of land for huts.
Preference for area is Highland Perthshire.
Please keep me posted on any developments.
Many thanks.
Jason MacGilp

Jason MacGilp

Postby Jason MacGilp » 03 Jan 2017, 10:02

Hi
Yes. Definitely interested in joining this initiative for possible group purchase of land for huts.
Preference for area is Highland Perthshire.
Please keep me posted on any developments.
Many thanks.
Jason MacGilp

haggis

Postby haggis » 03 Jan 2017, 10:44

Hello.Sounds like a good way to go.

First of all I notice that you put your suggestion under the Forum topic "Introduce yourself" so that may be why you have had few replies.

On quickly reading your post the bit that immediately hits me is the sum of £10,000.00. I realise that you tried to remove the shock of that to some by saying that it could perhaps be less.......
Can I suggest that you start from £2000 as many wishing for a piece of ground to hopefully build a hut on will not require a lot and so they will be attracted.For people with aspirations like yourself,they will realise that they will have to pay proportionally more.
Hopefully if people let you know what money they have available,it will give you an idea of what you can get for the overall land package.
Perhaps you could give an idea of where in the highland .

Good Luck.

Derek

Good l

malcolm.mack

Postby malcolm.mack » 03 Jan 2017, 17:52

Hello,

My wife and I would be interested and could invest some cash here too. I am a carpenter based near Edinburgh with family links to the Inverness area as well as strathdon/Aberdeen. I have a fair bit of experience in green woodworking and a good group of maker friends that might also be interested in getting involved. I'm a keen climber and hill walker so somewhere with a few crags would be ideal. I'm also a member of ASHS so have good links for forestry grants and harvesting/planting timber knowledge. I've been looking for a patch on and off for a while and wondered about somewhere that had hydro potential? But not essential.
Anyway, let me know how you get on!
Here's my direct email if that's more convenient too. Malcolm@angusandmack.com

Thanks
Malcolm

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 03 Jan 2017, 18:09

Thanks Derek. Maybe one of the mods could move the post for me if it's better in the other forum.

To be clear, the reason for £10k is that we're not particularly interested in a grouping of huts or a hutting site. We are wanting to buy an area of woodland to look after (possibly re-generate / re-wild). Ideally we'd buy an area of land 15 acres+ and split it amongst folk who share a similar vision of managing a small area of woodland for food, fuel and wildlife, with 3 or 4 people involved and so 3 or 4 huts.

We have been looking around with a budget of £20k but haven't found anything suitable yet. Plus it'd be much more fun and manageable to take a larger area of land on with others.

In terms of location as I said we're not very fussy. It will come down to what comes onto the market and as we are coming from Shetland, distance from Aberdeen is a factor, although we can also get to Inverness and Scrabster easily. The land itself is more important than the location really.

If those interested reply to this topic, once something comes available we can then look at it together more seriously.

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 03 Jan 2017, 18:15

Hi Jason. Great, we'll bear you in mind and let you know if anything comes up that could fit the bill. Likewise feel free to do the same.

Jason MacGilp

Postby Jason MacGilp » 03 Jan 2017, 21:00

Thanks Al.

RSforum
Site Admin

Postby RSforum » 07 Jan 2017, 12:17

Hi Al. I've moved the topic to 'Hutting Opportunities' - mod.

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 07 Jan 2017, 16:07

Thanks!

Return to “Hutting Opportunities”