Looking for like-minded folk

Hutting communities. Land or huts for sale or rent. Seek or advertise building services.
OWG Trustee

Re: Looking for like-minded folk

Postby OWG Trustee » 08 Jan 2017, 07:52

Hi Malcolm et al,

I concurr with your thoughts about the shared or split purchase of land in Scotland for collectively building a group of huts.

I have experience of design and construction of timber-framed buildings and experience of how to obtain planning permission for same.

In general it's younger people who will have the energy levels needed to drive this quest forward however they may lack the confidence, experience and / or financial resources needed. Older and especially recently retired folks who have selected to cash in part of their pension rights are now actively seeking a home for those funds and additionally they will also now have some time on their hands to get involved in a building project.

I would be interested in taking a punt to support such a project in the Borders area (Selkirk / Kelso / Melrose / etc.) provided this was on a well wooded site that contained a good inventory of timber suitable for harvesting & conversion to produce building materials.

John Clegg had a small woodland for sale near Selkirk that already has a small cabin on the site !

10 x £10,000 = £100,000 - that should be sufficient to buy a nice piece of land.

I'm in !

Ken Hume

mark.johnston

Postby mark.johnston » 08 Jan 2017, 16:54

Hi Al/folks

My partner and I are currently having a preliminary look at hutting opportunities. I have a conservation/ranger background and my partner Crystal has worked with vulnerable young people and currently works with community groups as well as having carpentry experience. We are keen to set up a space where we can grow and make our own - but also to use this as an opportunity for teaching and sharing. As I say we have only started piecing this together and are beginning to visit a few different places and do some research with the idea of starting in a years time. We would be keen to be kept in the loop to hear how your plans develop.

Best Wishes

Mark

p.s. I visited Shetland for the first time in October - I worked for three weeks on the mainland, Unst & Yell. I loved it but definitely could have done with a few more trees around me :D

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 09 Jan 2017, 08:28

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that. Yes I saw that woodland and looks lovely. It's a bit far south for us, but I would consider it if it fitted others needs. Are you on Facebook at all?

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 09 Jan 2017, 18:15

Hi Mark. I've set up a Facebook group for the idea so we can share areas we find. It seemed to make sense as everyone interested so far is on Facebook anyway. Here's the link - request to join and I'll add you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/972769266186998/

mark.johnston

Postby mark.johnston » 12 Jan 2017, 11:00

Thanks Al

I have joined the Facebook group

Return to “Hutting Opportunities”