Possible sites for large scale reforesting?

For any questions about creating or managing any kind of woodland.
TomMoon

Possible sites for large scale reforesting?

Postby TomMoon » 24 Mar 2017, 07:46

I'd like people's thoughts and feedback on possible sites for large scale reforesting in Scotland - the pros and cons of specific pieces of land for sale, and their ideas about the best ways of reforesting (grant planting vs. natural regeneration) on some of those sites. This is intended to be the next stage in the ReforestNation project I've been working on for a few years.

First up, Loubcroy Estate near Lairg in Sutherland is for sale. Lot 1 is 7,500 acres of barren looking hill side with a mere 3.9 acres of trees, and no buildings, for £750,000. See details including map by following the link below.

http://www.knightfrank.co.uk/properties ... /edn160111

There is more fertile/lower lying land for sale separately, with a couple of cottages, but this increases the cost considerably - the hillside grazing works out at a little over £100 per acre, whereas the lower lying ground is much more expensive. Assuming that an access track can be put in, and a cabin(s) constructed to house reforesting volunteers and workers, then the higher land could work.

To be clear, the intention would be to create diverse native woodland, not commercial forestry. It would be a project on an inspiring scale, but thoroughly daunting! I'd appreciate thoughts on how best to reforest such a large area; what possible sources of funding might there be; and what help and support could someone realistically expect if they were embarking on such a project.

I am in earnest, and would appreciate any thoughts, feedback, suggestions of alternative sites, etc.

Regards, Tom.

p.s. I've tried to submit this post twice already, here's hoping it works this time.

jennifer.miller

Re: Possible sites for large scale reforesting?

Postby jennifer.miller » 01 Mar 2018, 08:33

Sounds an amazing opportunity, Tom. Have you put it up on Reforesting Scotland's Thousand Huts campaign Facebook page? I'm sure there will be folk on there keen to get involved.

I'd love to visit the and see what has transpired (pun intended) in a few years time.

Good Luck in moving things forward towards the realisation of your dream.

Jennifer

Return to “Woodland management”