Hi and is there demand for huts?

This is a space where you can let other forum users know who you are and what your hutting interests and involvements are. If you don't want to reveal too much to the world, a simple "hello" will do!
Kenneth_s

Hi and is there demand for huts?

Postby Kenneth_s » 27 Aug 2019, 17:12

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've looked into this a while back and left it in the back of my head until now. Getting and building a hut seems ideal to me, but I've got a load of questions which puts me off investigating it more, so wondering if people can perhaps advise on some.

• How much are people paying for a site? I've seen one of the site here saying the annual rent was £1500.
    Is that low/normal/high

• What amenities do people expect from a site, so if I go looking should I just expect a plot of land or other features?

• How much land do you get? I see that a huts living space can't be more than 30m^2.

• If you are only allowed 30m^2 for living area is that just base footprint? What if I built a hut with a ground and 1st floor?

• This leads on to planning permission. I read that new laws make it easier, but this is perhaps the biggest issue. What if I buy a cheap bit of land, how do I know if I'll be able to build or not. Is there a way to find out limitations (per council area?) that you can/cannot do

• I'm also curious how popular it is, so if I found a chunk of land, is there a way to cooperate with other like minded individuals and split costs etc. So I suppose where do people wish to build (my guess would be close, but not too close to the central belt)?

So yeah a few questions and others in my head. Looking for some starter advice.
Cheers Kenneth.

Ranger_762

Re: Hi and is there demand for huts?

Postby Ranger_762 » 15 Oct 2019, 15:33

He,

I'd be interested in that as well. I think that you can find out about building limitations by contacting the mayor of the nearest town or village, but that's all I can bring to the discussion...
Oh, and regarding the living space, there's a recent trend in mini-houses with spaces that go as low as 9 square meters with all of the indispensable amenities inside, so I guess that 30 gives you some leeway! And even if you aren't allowed to do a 2 floor hut, it's still possible to have a mezzanine where you can put a bed or that you can use as a storage space.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”