Hutters United! meetings

For general discussion relating to the Thousand Huts campaign and hutting.
jennifer.miller

Re: Hutters United! meetings

Postby jennifer.miller » 22 Feb 2017, 15:33

Hi Stan -
Last night was an excellent meeting and Hutters United! is going from strength to strength as we now have 48 members.
I'm looking forward to seeing you on March 13th or April 10th (maybe both?). Your input is valuable and the offer is much appreciated.
This year will be an exciting one for all prospective hutters I'm sure.

jennifer.miller

Postby jennifer.miller » 22 Feb 2017, 15:36

Oops! I meant to add that it looks likely that a daytime monthly meetup will happen fairly soon. I'll let you know.

jennifer.miller

Postby jennifer.miller » 09 Mar 2017, 11:07

The March meeting of Hutters United! (Edinburgh) this Monday 13th is a very special one. We are celebrating our 50th member and we also have a guest speaker!

As you will know Donald McPhillimy co-leads the 1000 Huts Campaign and is a highly qualified professional expert on all things woodland including hutting.

He is coming along to update us on all the latest information regarding huts and hutting. He will also lead a discussion and answer your questions.

If you want to find out everything in one place at one time then this is a unique opportunity.

We meet at 7.30pm on Leith Walk and details of the venue are only available to members via our web page. This is just because I need to know if the numbers are going to exceed the room's capacity which would necessitate a change of venue. If you dont want to formally join then please contact me for details.

Members guests are welcome of course.
http://www.meetup.com/edinburgh-hutters-united

jennifer.miller

co-leader of '1000 Huts' giving update on Mon 13th March!!!

Postby jennifer.miller » 12 Mar 2017, 10:02

The March meeting of Hutters United! (Edinburgh) this Monday 13th is a very special one. We are celebrating our 50th member and we also have a guest speaker!

As you will know Donald McPhillimy co-leads the 1000 Huts Campaign and is a highly qualified professional expert on all things woodland including hutting.

He is coming along to update us on all the latest information regarding huts and hutting. He will also lead a discussion and answer your questions.

If you want to find out everything in one place at one time then this is a unique opportunity.

We meet at 7.30pm on Leith Walk and details of the venue are only available to members via our web page. This is just because I need to know if the numbers are going to exceed the room's capacity which would necessitate a change of venue. If you dont want to formally join then please contact me for details.

Members guests are welcome of course.
http://www.meetup.com/edinburgh-hutters-united

jennifer.miller

Update for anyone who missed a truly great meeting

Postby jennifer.miller » 15 Mar 2017, 19:37

Six of us had supper and a very interesting pre meet up chat.

Then our biggest group to date arrived, some from as far away as Stirling and Glasgow. Well done for refusing to allow a temporarily disastrous rail timetable to deter you from coming. That's real dedication.

The room was buzzing. Donald (McPhillimy) gave a talk on the history of hutting in Scotland and brought us up to date with the legal and technical position so far on acquiring or leasing woodland and building your own hut. Then it was a Q & A that was both informative and fun. Some excellent points were raised and discussed.

The time flew by and everyone eventually left with so much more knowledge than they arrived with plus some great new contacts.

You really had to be there to appreciate how exciting it was.

Hope to see even more folk on April 10th.

jennifer.miller

Hutters United (Edinburgh) calling all members

Postby jennifer.miller » 09 Jun 2017, 10:02

Our next meeting is on Monday 12th June at 7.30pm in Woodland Creatures on Leith Walk.

We will discuss where we go from here in the light of the responses to the recent survey of Hutters United! members.

If you are coming please RSVP via our Hutters United! Meetup page so that I can liaise with the venue in good time. http://www.meetup.com/Edinburgh-Hutters-United/ (Please would members help the organisation of meetings by indicating Yes or No for this any future meetings. Many thanks.)

There will also be a brief update of how things currently stand for prospective hutters in light of recent legislation and the good practice guide; any news of offers of sites to lease for the building of huts; information about the possibilities of forming constituted groups to buy woodland for hutting and the logistics of organising a visit to Carbeth this summer or autumn.

VIP announcement about our July 10th meeting: Ninian Stuart, co-founder of the 1000 Huts campaign is coming to give a talk and answer your questions. He introduces himself below. Again it would help to know numbers for this event as soon as possible.

'From one to a thousand…

In 2010 Ninian Stuart began building his own hut (with lots of help) in the Forest of Falkland during a stressful year when he yearned for a wee quiet place to escape. He seeded the idea of a thousand huts at a Reforesting Scotland gathering in autumn 2010. The idea quickly took root with the help of lots of builders, dreamers and campaigners and has turned into the Thousand huts Campaign. Ninian is a founder member of the Centre for Stewardship based on Falkland Estate where people are trying to realise the potential of a place where land gives life to people and people give life to the land. The centre have already built a number of huts from local timber, are developing plans for a hut site and training opportunities for people who wish to learn to build huts.'

Return to “General Discussion”