Building a shepherd's hut.

Discuss hut design and construction here - DIY or hire a professional? Materials, style and function etc
william.whitelaw

Building a shepherd's hut.

Postby william.whitelaw » 17 Oct 2016, 22:13

Here's a link to the building of a wee hut in my garden. It's a place for my wife to relax, unwind and be creative. It just lives in our garden at the moment but maybe one day it will live in a wood. I have plans to make a bigger one with bigger windows and more reclaimed materials one day.

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Hut-on-Wheels/

donald.mcphillimy

Re: Building a shepherd's hut.

Postby donald.mcphillimy » 19 Oct 2016, 10:23

Really interesting and helpful article Willie. By the way, our Douglas fir is their Douglas fir, brought over as seed by David Douglas (head gardener at Scone estate) and now grown from seed collected in Scotland as a direct lineage. Builders love Douglas fir and foresters love growing it. They would grow more but has more exacting requirements than Sitka spruce (also collected by David Douglas). Also, the deer love its young foliage.
Douglas fir.jpg
Douglas fir.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 4188 times

william.whitelaw

Postby william.whitelaw » 19 Oct 2016, 22:28

Thanks for the info Donald, I didn't know that.

stan.davies

Postby stan.davies » 20 Oct 2016, 17:39

Hi William, very well done. As you say it's a lot to do with the 'planning'.. Huts don't just grow from trees, you need them in the right sized bits!.
And You need to watch the pennies too.
I'm Trying to emphasise these things in My Forum entries. Get the 'needful' thoughts going , beyond the 'Idealism'. Stan.

william.whitelaw

Postby william.whitelaw » 12 Nov 2016, 21:00

Hi Stan,
Thank you for your kind words. Aye, the cost needs to be watched. I was in a hurry and bought windows & door which are very expensive. Definitely a good idea to start collecting windows & salvage timber before your build if you have space.
Your hut looks great, just what a hut should be.

al.whitworth

Postby al.whitworth » 11 Dec 2016, 17:43

Really nicely done that! I was thinking of something similar as I can make it at home but waiting until I've actually got some woodland to put it in!

Ben Law's caravan design is also pretty cool, but way to heavy for road use.

Return to “Building A Hut”