Cooking

Discuss hut design and construction here - DIY or hire a professional? Materials, style and function etc
vanvliet

Cooking

Postby vanvliet » 30 Dec 2016, 12:07

Over the last ten years I have found the Swedish portable Origo 3000 two burner (also single burner option) cooker very safe and cheap to run for inside and outdoor use and so they are worth considering .Apparently quite a few boaters use them as gas can be very dangerous in confined spaces. The stove fuel cans hold the liquid in an absorbent material and so there is no danger of spillage and the body is stainless steel with virtually no moving parts and so they are maintenance free .I use odourless bio ethanol fuel which is now readily available and bought via EBay in 5 litre containers which lasts for weeks . The 3000 range has also dropped in price quite a bit recently and can be had on Ebay for a reasonable £150 (or even less 'second hand' on EBay! ) :)

stan.davies

Re: Cooking

Postby stan.davies » 30 Dec 2016, 15:51

Hi, a good idea for the 'casual' user. From the sounds of it they operate/run on the same principle as the Trangia Spirit Stoves which are very efficient (use them for years, camping etc). I presume all stainless steel (maybe some aluminium ?) which is very easy to clean.. ... Fuel easy to transport, certainly easier than large gas canisters!. Keeping a good stock of fuel would be a necessity as, IF it runs out, you can't just rush to the corner shop or local garage to get more!!!

Flintstone

vanvliet

Postby vanvliet » 30 Dec 2016, 17:35

They can be used along with the Origo oven (which is very expensive!) We have toured a lot using one in a camper van which is about the same use as one would expect in a hut ( or a boat)I suppose . I reckon a woodburner and one of these would be my ideal combo. Yes, you have to think ahead and make sure that you have enough reserve fuel as with any stove but they are very efficient if a little slow compared to gas .They used to run them on meths like the old Triangia but the fumes given off are grim! I discovered the Origo years ago when we toured Sweden staying in 'Stuga' log cabins which were equipped with them.
https://tinyhouselistings.com/living-wi ... hol-range/

stan.davies

Postby stan.davies » 16 Jan 2017, 13:09

Hi, certainly an interesting development, very functional too. I'm just wondering about the availability of fuel supplies in the Uk. I had trouble years ago getting 'white gas' for a Coleman stove I brought back from the USA.......................before they became UK popular.

I use both butane and propane in my hut.. Just because,....... ! (old timer) and never had any problems as it's piped through with copper microbore. BUT.. the gas bottles are getting increasingly 'heavier' as the years go by.... could do with conversion... !!.
Bit tooo long in the tooth to change, I think... can be someone else's problem, when I'm gone.

Good information for 'Newbies' though, well done................Flintstone

Return to “Building A Hut”