Tree stump fire gremlins

For general discussion relating to Reforesting Scotland.
http://www.reforestingscotland.org
thomassgn

Tree stump fire gremlins

Postby thomassgn » 21 Oct 2016, 12:36

I remember from the Reforesting Scotland annual gathering 2015 at Assynt there were some tree stumps that were burnt inside out, I think they were called gremlins. Unfortunately I didn't come around to learn more about them.

I have got a huge stump (a bit taller than an adult and a good arms length across the thin top part) I need in pieces for moving and accelerating decomposition. The area is in need of calcium so burning it could be an appropriate solution. But I need more information to assess the safety of doing so as there is more decaying wood lying about the area.

Any information or tips is much appreciated.

Tl;dr: is there any info about burning tree stumps from the inside out, including names and search phrases?

Also, not sure if this post should be here or in the off-topic thread...

donald.mcphillimy

Re: Tree stump fire gremlins

Postby donald.mcphillimy » 24 Oct 2016, 07:26

Thomas, the tree gremlins I remember from Assynt were seasoned logs not stumps which had holes drilled in strategic places which allowed them to be burned. I don't think it would work with a stump still in the ground as that would be full of moisture. Instead, why don't you saw down the remaining stump with a chainsaw or two man cross cut saw, then drill holes in the remaining stump with a bit and brace or electric drill and cover the surface with soil? This will introduce soil decomposers and the stump will rot away naturally.

Or you could retain the stump and plant honeysuckle, clematis, green beans or another climber to clambour all over it. What species ? If it is a broadleaf it may coppice, if a conifer it will eventually rot away but be a useful asset while it does so.

thomassgn

Postby thomassgn » 26 Oct 2016, 19:26

The stump is entirely above ground, I was lucky and got a lorry load of wood someone was dumping (removed from a property that is getting a new house). It included said stump.

We're looking to use charcoal, ash and wood as soil amendments, which is what we've been using the other movable wood for.

That's why I'm curios to see if we could somehow burn out and then chop up the stump...

donald.mcphillimy

Postby donald.mcphillimy » 02 Nov 2016, 12:14

If it's dry, use a chainsaw to cut 3/4 of the way down through the stump from the top surface. Make a second cut at 90 degrees. From above it will be a cross. Wait for November 5th, then place a firelighter at the bottom of the cross, light and retire. It should give a good blaze for a few hours while you set your fireworks off.

brendan.hynes

Postby brendan.hynes » 03 Jan 2017, 20:12

Perhaps this could be scaled up to size or used a little bit at a time

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... an-Candle/

Regards

Brendan

Return to “General Discussion”