I'm Karen

This is a space where you can let other forum users know who you are and what your hutting interests and involvements are. If you don't want to reveal too much to the world, a simple "hello" will do!
Karen Grant

I'm Karen

Postby Karen Grant » 01 Nov 2016, 16:51

Hello,

I'm Karen - I've worked with Thousand Huts for about 4 years, and have been involved with Reforesting Scotland for over 20 years. I've always been very interested in creative handmade timber buildings and low impact living and hope to build by own cabin soon (finally!). With A Thousand Huts my main responsibilities have been relating to planning and policy, and also networking and movement-building.

It would be great to hear what people need to stimulate the conversation on this forum. Personally I really hope it becomes a place we can really gather skills, knowledge and news of opportunities to help facilitate the growth of the hutting movement.

Looking forward to it!

Karen

OWG Trustee

Re: I'm Karen

Postby OWG Trustee » 01 Jan 2017, 08:14

Hi Karen,

To get things moving it would be really interesting to be able to examine and / or follow a number of "case studies" posted by persons who have managed to navigate their way through the major issues and obstacles that need to be overcome in respect of finance, land ownership, planning & building issues.

One of my personal interests is to learn and develop a better understanding of how sucessfull "hut builders" manage to pull a team together to undertake their projects, and for example, although some persons might profess to want to undertake such a project they might not necessarily be equipped with the necessary resources (land, money, time, etc.) and physical ability (hand & eye coordination, strength, endurance, etc.) and skill set (measure & cut to a line, etc.) and the tools and tackle needed to build competently and safely.

An insight into these processes would be beneficial.

Ken Hume

brendan.hynes

Postby brendan.hynes » 03 Jan 2017, 20:27

Hi Karen, I think finding land is probably the hardest thing, even if you have some money to buy
So some information on where to look for available land or best place to advertise, like farmers mags, estate managers reading habits.

I not sure how farmers of land owners would like folk just driving up and asking, or am I wrong!

Hints & Tips
Does & donts

Might be useful

Regards

Brendan

stan.davies

Postby stan.davies » 16 Jan 2017, 12:55

Hi Karen, I agree with you. Trying to stimulate interest in the Forum is hard going. So much very useful information is getting buried in the Facebook entries... Lost to Newcomers........... I'm wondering if it's possible to take 'extracts' (Cut'n paste'(?)from Facebook and re-post in the Forum under a Weekly review (of sorts)..................

I already 'store' certain 'Posts' for future reference and collate stuff under various headings for my own use (past history as a technical author/researcher.. (OCD/OCHD!))

I'm willing to try/do something along those lines but not sure how it would stand with 'authors' in Facebook having their entries re-cycled in that manner.

Stan

ian.hardwick

Postby ian.hardwick » 16 Jan 2017, 22:14

Hi Karen I'm Ian, just signed up to this page but can't see how to post in forums. I'd be happy to build a hut but need advice on finding aplot within an hour Of Bathgate. Any help much appreciated Ta

Brydekirk

Postby Brydekirk » 16 Jun 2017, 09:06

Where's everyone gone :roll:

OllieLon

Postby OllieLon » 22 Jul 2017, 06:43

ian.hardwick wrote:Hi Karen I'm Ian, just signed up to this page but can't see how to post in forums. I'd be happy to build a hut but need advice on finding aplot within an hour Of Bathgate. Any help much appreciated Ta

Hi Karen, Ian and everyone else! I'd be interested in building a hut and other stuff too!

Anjelica

Postby Anjelica » 24 Jan 2018, 10:44

Hi, Raren and everybody here )! I`m Anjelica ))!

Frugaldom

Postby Frugaldom » 12 Mar 2019, 10:15

Hi Karen,

I am fully behind what Ken Hume has said and can strongly relate to that. We (partner and I) finally managed to buy a patch of land but couldn't afford the woodland we wanted, instead having to settle for the edge of clearfell and begin planting a new native woodland. We are now 5 years older and finding neither of us has the energy, strength or skills to fully accomplish what we set out to do, nor the funds to employ a workforce. Our biggest obstacle has been trying to find like-minded others who actually take this topic seriously, especially once they discover it means hard work. I am obviously looking in the wrong places, hence the reason I came here.
Susan

JamesFo

Postby JamesFo » 20 May 2019, 16:31

Hi there Karen my name is James and am seeking some advice on how to erect a hut on some land I have.
Talking with council planning department is getting me nowhere, they say they have no policy as such and want me to pay a pre application fee to find out if a hut would be permissible.
This seems a bit silly but they will not budge.
Also I have an area of forest in S. Ayrshire that I plan to sell if you know of anyone interested.

James 8-)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”